Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It Saves Me



I wear a mask. Most don't know or see the mask, but I wear it. I wear it to hide my true self. When I look in the mirror, I sometimes can't recognize myself. I forget to take off the mask and I am a stranger to me. I try to show my true self to people, but the mask protects me from the pain, the anger, the hurt. It shows I am happy and loving on the outside while on the inside. I am screaming, just wanting to let go of the anger, but I can't risk being seen. What will happen if my mask falls off? How will people see me? A fraud? A fake? the mask is my new character. It's the other me. The one that has never been hurt by a word, stabbed in the back by an action, sad from consequences. My mask saves me from being judged. But I can feel my mask slowly attaching more and more. It wants to cover the real me for good. Do I let it? I can become someone else, some one new. But part of me wants to stay. The real me wants to stay.



1 comment:

  1. "When I look in the mirror, I sometimes can't recognize myself. I forget to take off the mask and I am a stranger to me. I try to show my true self to people, but the mask protects me from the pain, the anger, the hurt." I feel like this describes every human perfectly and plainly. LOVE this and yeah.

    ReplyDelete